Consolidated Fire District No. 2 of Northeast Johnson County is the result of core changes that have taken place over the past 60 years. The first day of operations for the department then known as Mission Township District No. 2 was January 1, 1947. It first operated out of a J. C. Nichols construction barn located at 70th and State Line Road. In July 1948, the department occupied its new station at 3921 W. 63rd Street.
The second component of the District began with the birth of Fire District No. 3 in July, 1955. The newly formed District began service on January 1, 1956, and operated out of Woolf Barn, owned by J. C. Nichols and located at 81st and Mission Road. On August 1, 1956, District No. 3 moved into its newly completed quarters at 9011 Roe.
On February 21, 1962, the two Fire Districts consolidated to become Consolidated Fire District No. 2, and the newly formed District had two stations to serve the public.
The last piece of the District came from Mission Fire Department No.1. Founded in 1939, the department was first known as the Mission Hills Acres Fire Department. Its first station was located on Maple. In 1944, the department moved to larger quarters on Johnson Drive. In 1954, the department moved to the Beverly station. In 1976, the fire department moved again, this time to 6400 Martway.
On October 1, 1988, Mission Fire District No. 1 and Consolidated Fire District No. 2 fused to become Consolidated Fire District No. 2, Northeast Johnson County, Kansas. With this final consolidation, the District was complete and has three stations to serve the public.
Chief C. G. “Skipper” Lipps came to Mission Township Fire District #2 in 1951 after serving as Fire Chief in Wellington Kansas, and previous Fire Service in Abilene Kansas and at the Army’s Smokey Hill Air Base in Salina, Kansas.
At the time he came to the Fire District it was the only fully paid department in Johnson County.
He, along with his wife and children, a son and daughter, established their home in Prairie Village. Always known as “Skipper”, he never revealed what the C.G. stood for in his name.
Skipper brought new ideas into Firefighting, one being the use of fog nozzles. He taught his men to make interior attacks and it was very rare that a fire was not attacked in this way. He was a man with strong views and values and would become a leader in Johnson County Fire Service as well as a friend and mentor to his Firefighters.
Skipper helped start the Johnson County Fire Alarm Office and served as Chief of the Fire Alarm Office until his retirement. Prior to the formation of the Fire Alarm Office, the Johnson County Sheriff’s office dispatched fire calls. He was also involved in the formation of the Johnson County Fire Chiefs Association and the Johnson County Annual Fire School.
Skipper was instrumental in the formation of Fire District # 3 and served as Chief of that department as well as the Chief of Fire District # 2. He was instrumental in the merger of these two departments in the early 1960’s which would become Johnson County Consolidated Fire District #2.
Skipper was also involved in community affairs to include membership in the Mission Rotary Club. Skipper developed and initiated a program at District #2 whereas the Fire Department accepted used toys throughout the year and the Firefighters would repair and paint the toys to provide for underprivileged children at Christmas. Skipper retired in 1971 and he and his wife moved to the Seattle Washington area to be near their daughter and son.